Other Local Support Groups
- Gender Spectrum is a National organization based in the Bay Area. Gender Spectrum helps to create gender sensitive and inclusive environments
for all children and teens.
- Bay Area Parent Support Groups held monthly on Monday evenings (typically the 3rd Monday of the month) in Emeryville. They often break up the sessions by the age of children or topic, depending in who attends. Email them to confirm location and time.
- Gender Spectrum Lounge – a growing on line community
- Gender Spectrum Conference – this is a wonderful conference, with one day for professionals, and two days of family-oriented programming. They provide childcare and programming for kids while parents go to sessions! July 19-21, 2019
- inMind is a collaborative practice with gender specialists.
- Therapy http://www.youareinmind.com/
- Teen, Tween, and Parent Groups are held in Oakland. Please confirm the dates/times on their website.
- 1st & 3rd Tuesday Teens (14+) 6:00-7:30 pm
- 2nd Tuesdays: Tweens (9-13) 6:00-7:30 pm
- 2nd Tuesdays: Parents/Caregivers/Guardians 6:00-7:30 pm
- Trans Peer Mentoring Program is coordinated by inMind.
- Pacific Center – Mental Health and Support Services for LGBTQ community.In particular, youth services at the Pacific Center focus on the empowerment, mental health and safety of LGBTQ youth (ages 12-17) . The LOUD After-school Youth Program: LOUD stands for Loving Ourselves and Uniting Diversity and is an after-school program that meets weekly from 4pm-6pm on Tuesday and Friday. LOUD provides a safe space and peer support for LGBTQ youth and their allies. Each week 5-20 youth gather, share stories, meet new friends, support each other, laugh, eat, play games, or embark on field trips. Mental health therapists lead the group and are available for one-on-one counseling for any youth and/or members of their families. http://pacificcenter.org/
- PFLAG: The nation’s largest organization for parents, families, friends, and allies united with LGBTQ people to move forward through support, education, and advocacy.
Dimensions Clinic is a welcoming, safe and open space for queer and trans youth to get comprehensive medical and mental health services.We offer free or low-cost healthcare for youth, ages 12 to 25, with services tailored specifically to serve transgender and gender non-binary young people. http://www.dimensionsclinic.org/
- Transgender Law Center http://transgenderlawcenter.org/
ID Please: Legal Name and Gender Changes – Guidebook http://transgenderlawcenter.org/resources/id/id-pleaseMedia Toolkit http://transgenderlawcenter.org/programs/truth/truth-share-your-story
- National Center for Transgender Equality: one-stop hub for name and gender change information.
- UCSF Benioff Oakland Children’s Hospital Child and Adolescent Gender Clinic
Comprehensive Interdisciplinary Medical Services for Transgender, Non-Binary, and Gender-Expansive Transgender Children and Adolescents
- University of California San Francisco Child and Adolescent Gender Clinic
Comprehensive medical and psychological care for gender diverse youth.
- WPATH www.wpath.org World Professional Association for Transgender Health International organization focuses on the understanding and treatment of gender identity disorders.
Working with Schools
- Gender Spectrum https://www.genderspectrum.org/explore-topics/education/#more-239
- GLSEN Leading national education organization focused on ensuring safe schools for all students.Safe schools
- Queerly Elementary Queerly Elementary provides services and resources to help school communities embrace lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer diversity. https://queerlyelementary.com/
- Rethinking Schools Teaching about gender diversity and inclusion
- “Who Are You” – book on gender diversity for children and resources on creating gender inclusive schools and cultures
- Welcoming Schools curriculum on gender diversity & inclusion
National organization offers tools, lessons, and resources on embracing family diversity, avoiding gender stereotyping, and ending bullying and name-calling in elementary schools.
- TSER (Trans Student Educational Resources) www.transtudent.org
A youth based organization which seeks to educate about gender diversity and inclusion and transform educational settings for gender diverse youth. Great infographics.
Gender On-line Support & Acceptance
- Trevor Project http://www.thetrevorproject.org/pages/get-help-now
Trevor Project’s Trevor Lifeline at 866-488-7386 (24 hours a day, seven days a week)
- TransLife Line http://www.translifeline.org/
Trans Lifeline at US: (877) 565-8860 or Canada: (877) 330-6366 or visit their website for more information
- Family Acceptance Project @ SFSU https://familyproject.sfsu.edu/
- National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (NQAPIA) promotes acceptance of LGBT people, and our rights and dignity, amongst Asian Americans, South Asians, Southeast Asians, and Pacific Islanders (AAPI).
Other National Organizations
- GLAAD National organization that works on the representation of LGBTQ people in the media.https://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender
- Gender Odyssey Interested in the thoughtful exploration of gender and provides an environment where people of all genders can share their experiences and learn from the experiences of others. www.genderodyssey.org
- Children’s National Medical Center’s Gender and Sexuality Psychosocial Programs www.childrensnational.org/gendervarianceWashington D.C. based organizations that offers online parent guide, an outreach program, a local support group, a national Listserv, a summer camp and an outpatient clinical program.
- TransYouth Family Allies A national organization empowers children and families by partnering with educators, service providers and communities, to develop supportive environments in which gender may be expressed and respected. http://www.imatyfa.org/
Parenting Stories and Blogs
- How To Be A Girl Podcast: “an audio podcast I produce about life with my six-year-old transgender daughter. It stars the two of us — a single mom and a six-year-old girl” www.howtobeagirlpodcast.com/
- Growing Up Transgender https://growinguptransgender.com/ (Here’s a particularly useful page on Puberty Blockers https://growinguptransgender.com/2020/06/10/puberty-blockers-overview-of-the-research/)
Education Legal and Policy
- Office of Civil Rights / Department of Education
- Joint Policy Statement on AB1266 School Success and Opportunity Act
- California Department of Education AB 1266
- Bathroom Issues Gender Spectrum https://www.genderspectrum.org/bathroomfaq/?utm_source=Back+to+School&utm_campaign=bts818&utm_medium=email
- Human Rights Watch Bathroom Report and Articles
National organization working for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender equal rights.
Article on Bathrooms